Lentil Veggie Loaf Kibble Topper
Looking for more tasty toppers for your dog’s kibble? This lentil veggie loaf is the perfect topper and my dogs’ favorite! Dogs love variety in their diets too and this easy to make loaf is packed with wholesome and easily digestible ingredients that are sure to entice even the pickiest eaters. This recipe is very flexible and can be made into a loaf, as I am describing below, or it can be used as a regular topper, similar to a canned food. You can create more variety by changing up the veggies to other favorites; broccoli, bell peppers, peas, asparagus, celery, spinach, etc. Be sure to avoid any foods that are toxic to dogs. Check out the post Food Allergens and Toxins for Dogs for a list of foods to avoid.
I make four mini loaves at a time, which is perfect for topping the kibble for my three dogs every morning and evening for up to 6 days. Loaves may be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container or Ziploc for up to a week. Loaves may also be made in advance and stored in the freezer until needed (be sure it is airtight and stored in a freezer bag). Just thaw to room temperature and it’s ready to serve.
- 2 1/2 cups cooked lentils (green, brown, or red)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or 1 cup cooked quinoa)
- 1 large sweet potato, baked with skin (or cubed and boiled for 8 minutes)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped (or 1/5 cup spinach, red pepper, peas, or other vegetable of choice)
- 1/4 cup blueberries (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (or 1 tablespoon flax oil)
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 organic free range eggs or 1/4 cup Aquafaba (the water chickpeas are canned in)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into lightly sprayed mini loaf pans to half way, or into muffin pans for individual servings
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool
- Serve 1-2 tablespoons (depending on your dog’s size and appetite) crumbled or as a slice on top of kibble.
I use V-Dog kibble, which my dogs love! No, I am not getting paid to say that; I just like to support companies that are forward thinkers doing a great thing, while providing a high quality product.
Non-bake version: skip the eggs or Aquafaba and replace with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, blend until mixed well in the processor. I sometimes add a tablespoon of peanut butter for variety. Scoop a spoonful or two on top of kibble or mix in. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
*Please note: This is not a complete and balanced meal without vitamin supplements. However, when served with a nutritionally balanced kibble, such as V-Dog, this recipe adds variety and additional vitamins and nutrients to a healthy diet. This recipe may be used as the basis for a homemade meal with the addition of a supplement such Vegedog Supplement. Every dog’s nutritional requirements are unique, so consult with a qualified professional animal nutritionist before making any major changes to your dog’s diet.