Lentil Quinoa Kibble Topper
My dogs love having tasty toppers for their kibble and have become quite spoiled! Jax loves red bell pepper, so I created this combination to incorporate the sweetness of red bell peppers. I make 24 muffins at a time, which is perfect for topping the kibble for my three dogs every morning and evening for up to 6 days. Loaves may be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container or Ziploc for up to 6 days. Muffins may also be made in advance and stored in the freezer for up to two months (be sure it is airtight and stored in a freezer bag or other freezer safe container). Just thaw to room temperature and it’s ready to serve.
Quinoa is high in protein and contains all the essential amino acids dogs need, making it a complete protein. It has a low glycemic index is also a source of alpha-linolenic acid, an essential Omega-3 fatty acid. Quinoa is a good source of fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, and many other nutrients. Unlike other grain alternatives, Quinoa has a great protein to carbohydrate ratio. Quinoa is also known for reducing the risk of many cancers and acts as an anti-inflammatory.
The vegetables can be changed out to create more variety, but be sure to avoid any foods that are toxic to dogs. Check out the post Food Allergens and Toxins for Dogs for a list of foods to avoid.
- 2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (white, red, or tricolor)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, cubed, and boiled
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetables (green beans, zucchini, peas, carrots, or spinach)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 3 organic free range eggs or egg substitute such as VeganEgg (do not use if your dog is allergic or sensitive to soy) or aquafaba (canned chickpea juice)
- 3 tablespoons Vegedog supplement
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into lightly sprayed muffin pans (can also use mini loaf pans)
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes to brown the tops (watch carefully to ensure they don’t burn)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pan
- Serve 1/4 to 1 muffin (depending on your dog’s size and appetite) crumbled or whole on top of kibble.
I use V-Dog kibble, which my dogs love! They even have Mini kibbles for those petite pups 🙂