Chickpea Quinoa Loaf Kibble Topper
Just like us, dogs love variety in their diets and this easy to make loaf is packed with wholesome and easily digestible ingredients that are sure to entice even the pickiest eaters. My dogs are crazy about chickpeas, so for this topper I am using a chickpea base, as well as quinoa for added protein. This recipe is very flexible and can be made into a loaf, as I am describing below, or it can be used as a regular topper, similar to a canned food.
I make four mini loaves at a time, which is perfect for topping the kibble for my three dogs every morning and evening for up to 6 days. Loaves may be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container or Ziploc for up to a week. Loaves may also be made in advance and stored in the freezer until needed (be sure it is airtight and stored in a freezer bag). Just thaw and it’s ready to serve.
- 1 can of organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2 cups cooked sweet potato
- 1 cup cooked organic quinoa (be sure to thoroughly rinse prior to cooking)
- 1 cup frozen organic peas, thawed
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 free range organic eggs or 1/4 cup Aquafaba (water chickpeas are cooked in – I use the canned fluid the chickpeas are stored in)
Jax just can’t wait!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into lightly sprayed mini loaf pans, or into one regular loaf pan.
- Cover with tinfoil, poke a couple small slits in the tinfoil.
- Bake for 45 minutes (may vary depending on size of loaf pans).
- Remove tinfoil and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool and serve 1-2 tablespoons (depending on your dog’s size and appetite) crumbled or as a slice on top of kibble.
I use V-Dog kibble, which my dogs love! No, I am not getting paid to say that; I just like to support companies that are forward thinkers doing a great thing, while providing a high quality product.
Non-bake version: skip the eggs and replace with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, blend until smooth in the processor, adding a little water if needed. Scoop a spoonful or two on top of kibble or mix in. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
*Please note: Do not serve this recipe on it’s own, as it is not completely balanced as a meal. However, when served with a nutritionally balanced kibble, such as V-Dog, this recipe adds variety and additional vitamins and nutrients to a healthy diet. This recipe may be used as the basis for a homemade meal with some modifications and the addition of a supplement such as Vegedog.