A Little about Me
My name is Ann O’Neill Deal and I am the owner of Candid FX Photography and an avid animal lover! I have earned my certified professional Photographer (CPP) designation from the Professional Photographers of America. Learn more about what it means to be a Certified Professional Photographer and my journey to achieve this distinction.
I grew up in Canada, was born in London, England, but as you can tell from my name, my family hails from Ireland. After living in San Diego, CA for 6 years, I moved to Houston in early 2015 with my amazing husband Ron. Though the heat in the summer takes some getting used to, we are settling in to Texas life!
In 2015 I lost my precious little dog Kiko to cancer (that’s my baby bear pictured on the right sitting with me). Kiko was my inspiration and him and Loki are the reason I became a pet photographer. The Loss of My Beloved Kiko has been devastating and has been the most painful loss of my life. Having photographs of my little boy has been my life raft; helping me cherish all those precious memories and keep him close to my heart every day.
There will be a day when you won’t be woken by their wet kisses and you won’t be greeted at the door by their barks and excited paws. Time passes quickly and those precious moments are what make our lives worth living.
Also pictured is my beautiful Loki (bottom). Loki is an 11 year old Belgian Tervuren and my protective shadow! Then last August we welcomed a new fur baby to our home. Jax is a Chihuahua/toy fox terrier mix (The little red boy pictured top right) and he has quite the personality! I flew out to Sacramento, California and drove up to Redding to get him from a rescue there. He flew back to Houston with me and has made himself right at home, becoming fast friends with Loki. Then in November last year we adopted another little rescue dog named Cooper. He is the Pomeranian pictured middle right. Cooper is a fluffy bundle of lazy! He loves food and napping!
A Little More About Me
- I love animals, all animals (…except maybe mosquitoes), and I think dogs are pretty much the most perfect creature on the planet.
- I have a BA and an MA in Anthropology, with a specialization in Primatology (Primate Behavior).
- I also teach Physical Anthropology at the Houston Community College.
- I have published articles in major scientific journals and written a book chapter on primate behavior (check it out here).
- I have also studied canine behavior, psychology and evolution, as well as developed techniques for working with dogs with various personality types.
- I have a beautiful and intelligent daughter named Sorcha (her name is Irish Gaelic for ‘bright one’) who is an awesome writer and all around amazing person!
- I am married to the most supportive and funny husband, who is my best friend.
- I have been a vegetarian for 30 years and couldn’t imagine being otherwise…As I mentioned, I love animals!
- I love cooking and I am in the process of writing my first cookbook “Candid Creations: For the Tofu-Free Vegetarian.” I also share many of my recipes on my food blog (check it out at Candid Creations Blog).
- I have been to 21 of the 50 states by car, and have lived in four states (TX, CA, GA, WI). Other than my place of birth (England), place of lineage (Ireland), and place I grew up (Canada), I have also been to Mexico, Costa Rica, Denmark, and Italy.
- I have a pretty serious collection of primate Beanie Babies and other stuffies. I am not ashamed to say that I started collecting these as an adult. I don’t think you are ever too old for stuffed toys!
Why Hire a Certified Professional Photographer (CPP)?
Thank you for visiting my website and blog. I would love to hear your story and meet your fur babies!